Thursday, October 9, 2008

Week 11 - 'Innovations in newspapers'

Just when I thought I'd seen enough blogs for a while, I took a look at Juan Antonio Giner's blog 'Innovations in Newspapers'.



This blog offers intelligent and insightful opinions on various topics from China's preparation for the Olympic Games to the US Presidential Election.

The first thing that struck me about Giner's blog was the writing style in each post.

It is exactly as the lecturer suggested the writing style in a blog should be, when I asked for feedback on my own blog.

Each sentence is started in a new paragraph, which makes it easy to write and very easy to read.
Another aspect of Giner's blog I was intrigued by was the archives section, which starts in June 2005.

I was under the impression that blogging was a relatively recent activity however Giner has been blogging for over three years.

This makes me think I have had my head in the sand as far as being aware of certain aspects of multi-media journalism.

At least I am on the right track now adding posts in my very own blog!

One of Giner's earliest posts showed his thoughts on the future of news...

'THE FUTURE OF NEWS IS…BIGGER, GLOBAL, ACCESSIBLE ANY TIME, ANY PLACE,THROUGH ANY DEVICE, TRANSPARENT, PARTICIPATORY: A CONVERSATION, NOT A LECTURE. EDITED FOR MORE, NOT LESS. FUNDED THROUGH A VARIETY OF SERVICES AND ACCESS POINTS. RELIANT ON SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP. AUTHENTIC. TRUST IS THE NEW TRUST.

AND THE FUTURE OF NEWSPAPERS IS …SMALLER IN STAFF, FORMAT, INFLUENCE,ATTENTION, PROFITS [...]'

Giner was thinking ahead when he put this in his blog back in 2005, as this summarises much of what we have learnt in 2008.

No comments: