Thursday, October 9, 2008

Week 12 - buzzmachine

When looking at Jeff Jarvis' 'Buzzmachine' blog, I instantly felt a sense of relief.

I guess you'd call it relief because it was a blog that I could relate to straight away

The language was conversational and easy to understand, and the balance of images and text is easy on the eye when looking through his posts.

The posts are not too long that I lose interest, but not too short that there isn't enough information in each one.

I agree with many of the other students in ALJ301 when they say that short blogs that make a point are what keeps people coming back to read the blog again.

To me, Jeff's posts are fascinating and display just the right amount of wit and attitude.

I've never met Jeff, but I feel like when I read his blog, he's having a conversation with me, and more importantly, I understand what he's trying to tell me.

I feel like he's taking me on journey through his journalism career, and I am along for the ride.

I enjoyed his video on the shortcomings of internet penetration and speed in the USA.

It was brief (30 seconds) and to the point; just enough time to get his message across and not bore anyone who is watching.

I also really enjoyed his post about visiting Germany and the thrill of seeing his famous quote 'What Would Google Do? (WWGD), up in large print for all to see.


When looking at some other industry blogs such as www.journalism.co.uk and STOMP I feel overwhelmed.

There is too much to look at and click on, I don't know where to start.

On the UK journalism site, there is an overload of information on the front page, with too many choices of where to go next.

Together with flashing images or logos, as seen on the STOMP site - whether they be advertising or not, they don't encourage me to stick around and read.

I'm sure others would disagree with my thoughts about these two sites, but that's the beauty of blogs, you can express your own opinion freely.

I agree with Jeff when he says he likes the blogosphere so much because it allows him to talk with people whose opinions don't align with his views.

So here in this blog, I can give my opinion, or share my point of view and know that anyone who reads it, can agree or disagree, and then move on.

No comments: